Thursday, August 6, 2009

Words of Wisdom

Henry Moore comments, ' Drawing is everything. If somebody comes to me and says There is a young sculptor and he's going to be very good - would you like to see his work? I say, What's his drawing like? Oh, he doesn't draw. Well then, I know he's no good. All sculptors who have been great draughtsmen.

Drawing is enough if you do it well. Lots of great artists do nothing but draw. I started drawing - unlike sculpting - when I was five or six. Nowadays, I do nothing but draw. What I'm not content about that they are not always good drawings. It is always a struggle.'

I am great believer in what Henry Moore says about drawing. At times have become obsessed with drawing and drawing the same image with slight variations to see if the images will change or become better. It is intriguing that although Francis Bacon said that he never did preparatory studies for his work, gradually sketches have come out showing his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment