Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Off the Tracks


I was out walking nearby to where I live and have been determined to finish off my current sketch book as there are only a few empty pages left. Then I will be left with prospect of starting a new sketch book, always a terrifying as it is a blank book and I would like every image to be a knockout; which I know can't happen every time.

In the past, I have now worked away round this situation, but there is still a thrill and a worrying in starting a new book. The picture I wanted to draw is shown above and I had attended to repeat with a drawing tomorrow in the same place or move further along the track. I always think of Sutherland's Entrance to Lane, when I look up a track or a covered road.

As I was drawing, several horse riders passed me as they use the track. It is safer than walking on the road with cars passing by. Whilst I looked on, I noticed in the field opposite, a rather gorgeous tawny horse. I had been thinking about getting my daughters to go and draw their horses as it is good practice, besides their interest in horses. Nothing had happened, so with some spare time, I decided to give it a go.

Limiting myself to orange and dark brown pens as this was going to be fast. The lighter colour to give a highlight and then filling in with the brown. I found the drawings exciting as the horse moved slowly, so I was able to do the following sketches.


Then as I sketched I remember Henry Moore's Sheep Sketch book and use a similar technique to draw the anatomy of this horse. Moore used a biro bic pen and this is where my use of this cheap throwaway pen without a top. That gives a lovely black line with just the right thickness. Now I am interested in doing some more sketches and will be consulting with Stubbs and Degas for ideas. Might mean a trip up to Epsom race track on a racing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment