Saturday, February 11, 2012

An Unfinished World

This is a stunning exhibition of Graham Sutherland early work and later work mainly from Pembrokeshire. It is nearly 12 hours since I saw and I am still highly excited. The exhibition at the Oxford Museum of Modern Art curated by George Shaw is well worth the detour that I did down the M40.

There are all manner of pieces not only finished pieces, but large sketches, small studies and some rough notes in sketchbooks. All showing his versatility of the landscapes and in looking at the work from his time as a war artist. There were some images from 1946 to 49, that show the development to his work that was later produced in Menton, the south of France. 

There was so much to admire in the sheer quality of the work. I was stunned to see that there were 4 rooms filled with his work.

Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to have a more leisurely time to wander through the show as I was on the ridiculous car parking costs, but for show, I would have been happy to pay for 2 hours. Also the gallery had run out of catalogues, so I am going to have to wait to see more of these stunning images.

If you can, then it is a definite must see exhibition.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment