Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Blank Page

If you have a sketch book, where do you start? At the beginning? I might write my details at the start of the book, but then I have to start not on page one. I had a dreadful habit of wanting to alwys produce the perfect sketch book. Each image would have knock you sideways and be ones that you wanted in your own folio to show.

The way round I discovered, this fear of 'perfect sketch book syndrome' was to start further in and work non-linear by mixing up drawings & sketches. This allowed me to not worry about the previous picture or the one I was going to do next. At some point, I knew I would be filling in the spaces inbetween the sketches. Then it became a point of trying to link the chain, but this prove easier to accept.

Ways of working, a straight linear perspective of one drawing or idea leading to the next. I suspect that m general working practices were shaped by working in printmaking. You have to step from one point to another point. You can not build a create a multi layered image and in somecases, b & w work without this stepped approach. One of my foundation tutor, told me that sometimes, you need to leap into the dark to the next three or four stages ahead. This blog is one of those leaps for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment