Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Book of Days


I have an idea for some time. It is to place a page out in the day and let the weather have it is way with the paper. I would place a page out for every day and collected them over the whole year. Each one would be then bound in a book and become a book of days. Not quite an illuminated manuscript as the typical Book of Hours of the Medieval ages. What you would have is a page that has been cracked and weathered over the time.

Instead I have decided to do is to leave my old book that had been used for a Library of Metaphors instead and leave it out. Seeing how the garden reacts to it. This follows a little in the foot steps of an ipal and how we first met with sharing a love of re-structuring books to create new pieces.

The idea of the a frame, seems to go back throughout my work. This is when I learnt of the golden ratio and the need to place the image in a structural composition. Yet a frame can be a coffin or a building, the idea of a burial service surfaced via the poem, The Wasteland. The first part of the poem is named, The Burial of the Dead and I use the term to be both the losing of something or its remembrance.

This book is half buried and I expect to see the book change with the weather, the plants and maybe the wildlife will effect the development of this piece. So I will be taking photos and adding them into a layout. The question is what format should it take? 7 days to a page of 7 images and how to lay them out on a page. Or squeeze them into a month on a page? Should I start the structure now? Or let it gradually develope as I build up the pages?

No comments:

Post a Comment