Monday, January 12, 2009

Tertal - Bare Bones Part 2


The picture has added a lot of colour and reminds me of Blood Red Soil, one of my very first successful lithograph. This is a strong link between blood and the earth. One of the first lessons in colour was of the complimentary colour between red and green. Of course, green is used for vegetation. The blue of the sky is only been filled in slowly and will be lightly added to as the main ground is the point of concentration.

I have 'lost' the page in the thicket of the left hand tree, but I want to bring it back into the image. This I will do, by having using charcoal on the trunk part and then 'carving' into the page with a rubber and then pulling the paper away. If I change my mind, I can add more text pages on top of the and then re-carve into the trunk. This I hope will give it some texture on the page and will probably concentrate with the eye toward this part. By adding white pencil, although I prefer white Conte crayon to cut into the image and tear at the charcoal.

The alternative as I look at it might be to have a layer of pages across the page and these pages lost in the back ground detail of the earth. Hmmmm. Something to consider later.

There are six of these photos from this place, each is slightly different in their lay out and the remaining five will be reviewed. Now I have a set of photos, I will let my ideas flow along how a sequence might work. As I wrong in an earlier post Tertal Part 1, the idea of bones in a landscape and we are quiet close to the Uffington White Horse, one of the majestic chalk figures that are etched into the landscape. There are various theories on the whys and wherefores. The other ones chalk figures, e.g. The Cerne Abbas Giant, The Long Man of Wilmington are not as old as people originally believed, but the horse at Uffington does appear genuine.

Peter Greenaway's film The Draughtsman's Contract is a firm favourite of mine. It uses a series of drawings by an artist view to put clues into the picture about the mysterious goings on at the country estate. Part murder mystery and part mediation on the nature of view an image. It showed me that film can use an artist eye to create a mood with imagery and the stylisation of work. I have the start of the piece with Bare Bones and will look at using anatomy of the bushes as a prompt for this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment