Thursday, March 19, 2009

Watching the Watchmen

I saw the film on Tuesday and still trying to make a decision. The best so far was that visually is that it is superb, but...There is something wrong. Yes, the tweak at the end is OK. The Martian scenes were great and yet.

Two things stood out today as one of my friends said, 'Why do a film, when the graphic novel is so good - Does it add anything to the story'. Answer is no. I remembered that there was a re-make of Hitchcock's Psycho frame by frame and this is what I think happened to the film. It was shot almost like for like, but why? It is a different medium and therefore, it must add some that it unique to the story that either text in a novel or in this case, comic art could not do.

One of the innovations that the graphic novel showed to great effect was the use of colour in the storytelling. Yet I can not remember anything in this film that suggested that. Peter Greenaway's film, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, the colour did show the difference from the various places in the film.

I thought the cinema cost was not worth the wait and the DVD might have more on it from the various articles I have read. So you might be worth waiting for the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment