Sunday, September 13, 2009

Divine Sparks


In the depths of a cupboard were some old photographs of family from a range of years, but tucked in away in an envelope of photos were these two pictures. The first is from a summer house at Wrest Park and the other is a tree from behind this house.

I have been casting my mind for some time, it must said, for a picture for the local vineyard, open art exhibition called Bacchus and has a theme, that is open to board interpretation. The next one next year in early January 2010 is titled, ' Awakening'. I have let this roll round in my mind for some time and tried to bring it forward to think what I could do. Having missed the last few exhibitions, for a lack of an idea or time. The dreaded 'T' word again. I am making a purposeful resolution to try and do some thing. So finding these two photos was a great boon.

The theme that has been waiting is something with seeds, but my first picture, I presented was a deep shadow tree called Circling the Year.


The idea was on a connection between the shadow roots and the tree as itself with the idea of a circular movement as the colour changes throughout the year. Lots of white to give a sharper edge to the roots and knocking back the high horizontal to go into the background. The image is big and so is the frame. a good 720 x 1020mm plus size. I had used a previous frame and the person framing the piece tutted as he felt it was not big enough. In the guideline for the exhibition the frame can not be bigger than 800 x 800mm. So I will reduce the size to something more manageable as well as cut down the cost.

The seed idea has been germinating and I had thought of using my book of days piece and use one of the massive (and I do mean massive) pine cones to have that centred in the 'lost' book, but it did not work or I was not happy with it. It did not look right and I played around with several pine cones and one stone. I might show these photos later or just leave them somewhere 'deep' as the photos above were to reappear fortunatiously.

The framing device of the 'lost' book, I feel is replicated in the open door of the first picture. It show a certain 'deep' depth to the image as you gaze is cast back to the stone ornament and then on to the house via long lake. It reminds me slightly with the layout of the magnificent Castle Howard in Yorkshire by Vanburgh. It was used for the setting of the TV series of Brideshead Revisited, but the place is truly fantastic. The landscape is semi-formal with obelisks, a mausoleum, odd ornaments laid out in a grand design. If you have never been, it is a place that must be on your itinerary at some point in your life.

The tree, I like has it has a 'flat aspect', the horizontal canal with reflection, the almost circular round branches sprouting from a layer of green, then we have more horizontals and finally the whiteness of a 'dead' branch, almost lightning like falling from the heavens.

How can I combine the imagine into a single piece?

No comments:

Post a Comment