Friday, September 4, 2009

Messing About in Boats


Looking towards Cookham


Up towards Marlow (a long way in the distance).

Last weekend, was taken out on boating on the Thames by family relations. It was wonderful sailing up from Cookham to Marlow and back again, we moored up on the river and had lunch. Whilst the rest of the family watched a DVD, I got out the sketch pad and sat drawing looking up to Cookham and then up towards Marlow.

I found that I had very little time to drawn as you might think the river as a quiet and slow place, but it much more lively and boisterous place. Maybe it was the big Canoe event, but it was probably the water drawing out people to go out and mess around in boats; as the sailing dingies did around the motor boats. So I was surprised how fast everyone moved and found I had to re-act quickly and some times wait for the sailing boats to return to fill in the starting sketch. In fact the picture contains two images of the boat at differing points on the river.

I wanted to create an impressionist feel with the duck and swans on the side of the boat only appearing as a rough coloured marks to add to the feeling of movement. Again, I tried to create a flowing line that represented the flowing of the river, but I wanted to keep the white space and leave it empty as well. Not sure how to resolve the situation, either one or the other?

No comments:

Post a Comment